Paul and Sophie's Big Trip

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Auroville and the temple towns

Firstly wishing everyone whose had there birthday's a happy birthday.
Gutted I missed Ryan and Tom's and Minnies 'Celebrations'.
Thanks for the latest "news" from back home, well done Tom for getting the front page on such a prestigious paper as the People, I can wait for the pun headline on Jessy Wallace's Crunchy incident.
Anyway Auroville worked its magic on me and I was up during the night after the last blog puking up and being attacked by a million mosquitoes in what I described to sophie as 'my worst shit ever'. So we missed a days gardening, which we were suprisingly gutted about, the people where thoroughly entertaining, there was Wayne and Stacey fresh out of drug rehab, Wayne kept telling me it was great to meet someone from London even though he'd been in India three days, he also insisted on speaking really bad Spanish to all the Indian lads for reasons known only to himself. Katlin the serial optimist from America somewhere who says everything is ausome, probably even if you told her you wanted to chop her head off and bury it in the whole you were digging, which I may have thought about once or twice.
Any way we would have loved to have stayed in Auroville for longer but all our clothes were damp, and I couldn't stand going for another mosquito nightmare poo, so much for the revelution.
Since Auroville we have been to Thiruvunamalai, Thirichipalli, Thanjuvur and where now in Madurai, I hope your looking all these up in the atlas and encyclopedias.
All these town have enormous temples which we have been in awe of, one morning at 5.30 I was woken by singing from the huge temple next to our hotel, I told sophie trying not to wake her up that I was going down to check it out and would be back in ten minutes, as I entered the temple there was an elephant blessing people who gave it money, also a holy cow(couldn't see the difference) with a crowd round it and lots of people lighting fire. I looked a complete fish out of water trying to peer into the 'inner sanctum' that only hindu's are allowed into really when some bloke ask me something about an ashram and I just nodded, so I ended up going through the whole ceremony which involved praying to about twenty statues all called shiva or shakti (I joined in out of respect and didn't look stupid at all) then I put so ash stuff on my head and red dye on my forehead walked around another statue ten times chanting something very badly and when he put his hands in the fire I explained i'd just had my nails done.
Anyway with all the incense and dizzy darkness I felt most peculiar for 6.30 and it was now light outside I started to reflect on what i'd just done and came to the conclusion that I was now blessed and the only decent thing to do is descend into the hills and become a saddu.
My new name is Sri Paul Enfield and I bless you all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a nutter mate!

Went out with Minnie and Harriett for a few drinks last night. Think Minnie and her mates went on to a club but I decided against it.

And I got the front pge again today! Read it at www.people.co.uk

It was all my own work too this one. :-)

xx

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. you're cheering me up on a cold day in oxford whilst i prepare myself for yet another (painful) anthropology lecture.

i'm still craking up.

love you guys!

(oh, and you know what? i have a boyfriend. ops)

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home