Paul and Sophie's Big Trip

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

In Puri again awaitng our train

We are back in Puri awaiting a 22hour train journey through Andra Pradesh.
The past few days have been very chilled at Chilka Lagoon we had the best hotel room so far with a balcony overlooking the lagoon.Most of our time was spent sittting here reading. I have caught sophie's bug of reading at every spare opportunity however i'm still not even reading half as fast as her, she reads about 500 pages a day I read about 150, she's like a woman possesed devouring them one after the other.I decided to go for a walk on my own on the first morning and it was very quiet and peaceful with little fishing hamlets and small groups of fisherman laying there nets to catch prawns I felt a bit uneasy because it was so quiet and felt completely out of place in my western clothes ans white skin, most of them where wearing very little and looking at me like I was insane just walking through the fields.I decided to imagine I was David Attenborough and sat watching the birds and cragonfly's with his voice running through my mind describing the behavior and making up names for the birds. I then spoke to a couple of villagers who knew english and told me how they fished and wanted to know if I had a wife. Then they wanted to know my business, After being asked this many times and realising the ridiculousness of a gym to these people I just say doctor and they are obviously very impressed.
We are having a few communication problems every now and then alot of people don't understand me I don't know if its my London twang but them understand Sophie better, this wouldn't be as much of a problem but people generally just say yes when they don't understand and its annoying.
also there a problem with numbers, I usually say two and I get three maybe there's a ghostly figure people see behind us or in the case of getting the boat four ghostly figures as I said two please and he asked six? and I said two sticking two fingers up and he responded six, this proceeded for a minute untill he had over six tickets and I gave him back four of them.
The boat trip was nice we saw dolphins and I learnt taking pictures of them are difficult and pointless as you just see a grey blob in the water, I was dissapionted there was no jumping out of the water or tricks, and Sophie informed me that was usually more likely to be seals and at sea world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice one man! i am so jealous about your trip. one year doing nothing! very lazy. enjoy your weather cos in poland is sooooo cold, snowing!!!! szymon

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were such a funny fucker Paul...

You're always miserable as fuck at home. ;-)

xxxxxxx

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home